Latest posts by John Yunker (see all)
- Adobe: The best global consumer technology website of 2016 - May 4, 2016
- American Express: The best global financial services website of 2016 - April 25, 2016
- What’s the most multilingual website? - April 12, 2016
I’ve been writing this blog since 2002.
Back when I started out, I wasn’t sure how long I would stick with this “blogging” thing and I didn’t really want to make any investment in software (besides time).
I tried a few different platforms before settling on WordPress.
It was free — certainly a selling point. But it’s wasn’t the easiest blog to install or maintain in the early years. ISPs weren’t exactly offering it as a one-click install back then. And don’t get me started on the challenges of updating plug-ins.
But WordPress has certainly come a long way.
I was surprised to learn that, thanks to volunteer contributions, WordPress is now available in more languages than Blogger or TypePad.
- TypePad is available in nine languages.
- Blogger/Blogspot (owned by Google) is available in 49 languages.
And now WordPress is now launching a software translation platform: GlotPress.
Makes sense. Offer to others the very platform you used to localize your software.
I’ll be interested to see how this new platform develops.